Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Things to admire and respect in 2008

I admire the guy or gal who rides their bike in these frigid temperatures. Yesterday was 60plus degrees on Delmarva, today was 30 degrees, what a difference. I saw a dude who was riding his bike today, cold weather gear to the tenth power, wind blasted and red faced. Many would say crazy idiot, I would say awesome ! I admire the blue blood front of the packer who has all the genetic and secular advantages a person could have. Give me the back of the packer 5 hour plus marathoner, the 13 hour plus ironman challenger and the 7 hour plus century rider, these folks I respect. The longer you are out there the tougher it is to finish. Sure we all love to see number 1 cross the finish line but the loudest cheers, the most heartfelt hoorays are always reserved for the underdog. God bless the underdog! I hope that you take resolve and courage from the back of the packers, the men and women who without all the advantages still rise to the occasion. I see athletes without all their limbs, working moms and dads, boys and girls who are weekend warriors but become strong gladiators who beat the odds. The obstacles that some people face are far beyond our ability to comprehend. Somehow these good folks summon the courage, find the resolve, overcome the stigma and succeed in spite of their shortcomings, these are the athletes I respect and admire. I hope 2008 challenges you, far beyond what you ever thought you were capable of, so far out of your comfort zone, into new territory. I hope that you will experience the challenge of the underdog, If you have the courage, it will be your greatest victory yet. Cycle on !!!!