Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cycling creates contrast

Cycling creates contrast in our lives. From fossil burning, air polluting, loud gas fired combustion engines to smooth, exhaust free, clean and quiet, pedal assisted human power. Could you imagine the change in the stratosphere if we parked the metal monsters for a week or two and chain ringed our way around from point a to point b. Man the whole world would be set upon it's ear. Why do we have to accept the norm when we all know it is not sustainable. We are sacrificing the planet and the future of all who will be coming after us for the sake of today's staus quo. I am again compelled to quote my favorite buddy Henry David Thoreau. If you don't know by now he is one of my true heroes. When Thoreau built his house on Walden Pond it also was a contrast to the norm. I laugh out loud every time I read this in the context of today's real estate market and current Wall Street uncertainty. The following is a quote from Walden :
"I have thus a tight shingled and plastered house, ten feet wide by fifteen long, and eight feet posts, with a garret and a closet, a large window on each side, two trap doors, one door at the end, and a brick fireplace opposite. The exact cost of my house, paying the usual price for such materials as I used, but not counting the work, all of which was done by myself, was as follows;
and I give the details because very few are able to tell exactly what their houses cost, and fewer still, if any, the separate cost of the various materials which compose them:-
Boards $8.03
Refuse Shingles for
roof and sides 4.00
Laths 1.00
Two Second Hand
Windows w glass 2.43
One Thousand Old Brick 4.00
Two casks of lime 2.40 that was high
Hair 0.31 more then I needed
Mantle tree iron 0.15
Nails 3.90
Hinges and screws 0.14
Latch 0.10
Chalk 0.01
Transportation 1.40 I carried a good part on my back
In All $ 28.12
These are the materials excepting the timber, stones, and sand which I claimed by squatters right. I have also a small wood shed adjoining, made chiefly of stuff which was left after building the house.
I intend to build me a house which will surpass any on the main street in Concord in grandeur and luxury, as soon as pleases me as much and will cost me no more than my present one."

Talk about contrast, yeah, yeah I know that was 1846 but factoring in inflation you still have to give it to the man. What should we give Thoreau you might ask, how about some thought, can you spare it ? If we only take the time to think and then act. Act out the contrast you are capable of. Watch an episode of Invention Nation, People are coming up with some awesome ideas and putting them in use. These folks are making a difference and I applaud them loudly.
When you ride your bike on Delmarva's back country roads it will give you some time to think and that's where some good can start.
I don't ever expect to see a world where cycling is the main form of transportation but I guess I am just a little pessimistic right now. Do your part, Pedal Delmarva