Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Spring in January

I hope you have been able to take a little time for yourself these last few days. Almost 70 degrees in January on Delmarva is a rare occasion. Yesterday was a chance for a windy but sunny ride. The big thing on the ride of note, besides the awesome beauty and complete splendor of the day were the thousands of Snow geese in the fields. Have you ever been so close to a large flock of snow geese that you could not hear anything else besides their call. It is quite an experience to say the least. I know in this day and age of high tech fast moving lifestyles that a flock of snow geese may seem less then significant to many people but I disagree. My favorite person of all time (who I've never met of course) has got to be Henry David Thoreau. During his time that he was building his house on Walden Pond he wrote " So I went on for some days cutting and hewing timber, and also studs and rafters, all with my narrow axe, not having many communicable or scholar-like thoughts, singing to myself,-
Men say they know many things;
But lo! they have taken wings,-
The arts and sciences,
And a thousand appliances;
The wind that blows
Is all that anybody knows."
When you are riding your bike on Delmarva you will know the wind. If you can see the whole meaning of what Thoreau was saying then you will love riding here. Enjoy the warm weather while it lasts, we all know it is just a tease. Happy Cycling !!!